Within this blog...

Interests, Pastimes & Hobbies

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Experiencing Thailand Through Food

Take a look of what I have here. Are you going to eat these raw? Aside from the obvious long beans and cabbage chunk, the one with long stem is some sort of herbs. When I say eat them raw? What comes to mind? To me, even if I were to take raw veggie(which I do sometimes), these would never be my choice. I would rather go for celery, baby tomatoes (which has less of the slimy part), carrots and lettuce. Long beans??? "No, they're too raw, I've never been introduced eating them like that. The simplest way at least to eat them is in omelette or stir fries." Cabbage??? "No, the raw taste and the after smell which lingers is definitely a no-no. In fact, this veggie can really make one bloated with gas." Herbs?? I never had herbs in my food until the last time I had it with a noodle dish in Vietnam. At least, that was added and soaked in the soup.

Thai salad

So, how did these end up in my hand? I will definitely not ask for these. In fact, I wonder if these are direct from the farm- market- hawker. Yes, fresh but have they been thoroughly washed for consumption? The lady hawker stuffed this in when I bought my Som Tam (Thai sweet+sour+spicy salad) during my stay in Thailand.




Now you see it...

Let me tell you how this snack tastes. It's crispy and seasoned with soy sauce and pepper. -End of Story- And no, I didn't get any stomach upset.



Yum...cricket time!

Not a perfect picture as it was taken with a mobile phone on my free hand.


Half eaten cricket

Tada....


Half eaten cricket

Tada...tada....



Thai snack - fried worm

Here's my other snack which naturally is white in colour. I don't exactly know what to call it, blame it on my poor insects vocab. Above is how it looks after been fried and seasoned. Taste wise, unlike the first, this is not crispy nor crunchy..well a lil on the outer layer but when you bit through it, it's powdery and moist in the middle. Yeap, that's the innard of it. Texture's like the brain part of prawns (if you know what i mean).


Thai snack - fried bug

Can I call this a bug? A beetle? I don't know. I least favour this. It has a subtle weird taste which the seasoning can't even conceal.

About 100g of this snack costed THB20. However I only finished the cricket. Again, nope...no stomach upset. Give them a try when you visit Thailand.



4 comments:

Johnny Ong said...

will i do it?????

Call me A.S for AkiraSabine said...

YES!! GO FOR IT!!!!!
wakakakka...
The grasshopper or was it cricket was fine..you would be thinking you're eating prawns. Yes fried baby prawns, eaten with shell and legs!

jam said...

Did you eat them raw? A big 'NO' for me!

Call me A.S for AkiraSabine said...

For a moment, I thought you meant raw insects? Of course not, they were fried and seasoned.

Then, I realized, I mentioned raw veggies in my post. I only took a little as I don't fancy natural veggie taste. Funny enough, they serve these accompaniment veggie in many of their dishes for instance Thai salad, finger food, grilled fish balls, cuttlefish, etc.

Related Posts with Thumbnails